General Manager, Bioactives
Research Triangle Park, Durham, NC, USA
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2023
Brightseed is a pioneer in biosciences and artificial intelligence (A.I.) that illuminates nature to restore human health. Brightseed’s proprietary A.I., Forager®, accelerates bioactive discovery, biological validation and ingredient formulation from years to months, rapidly revealing new connections between nature and humanity. Through Forager® and clinical evaluation, Brightseed partners with organizations across the consumer health continuum to offer insight into the world of bioactives and health solutions. Visit www.brightseedbio.com to learn more.
Bioactives are small molecule compounds produced by plants, fungi, and microbes that are essential for their survival. Bioactives also benefit the health of humans – they are the enlivening caffeine in tea, the powerful antioxidant lycopene in tomatoes or curcumin in turmeric, and they are the active ingredients in medicines like Taxol, aspirin and Metformin Science has long known that bioactives are critical to human health, yet the vast majority remain unknown and uncharted – often referred to as the “dark matter” of nutrition. Brightseed’s A.I., Forager®, discovers bioactives in nature and maps them to human health outcomes at a rate and accuracy that was previously impossible.
You are an accomplished and experienced GM who relishes the challenge of launching and scaling transformative new products. You will develop a profitable, growing plant-based health bioactive ingredients business through a pipeline of meaningfully differentiated, proven effective and IP-protected bioactive ingredients. You will manage the P&L of a growing portfolio of Brightseed branded bioactives globally. In this capacity, you will define the pipeline as well as the go-to-market strategy for Brightseed’s bioactives across product applications and health benefit areas. You will develop compelling, consumer-facing and B2B customer-facing product claims and messages that are consistent with demonstrated health benefit evidence, applicable regulations and Brightseed brand identity. You are a critical partner to the tech team, providing guidance and decision making that will drive many efforts in discovery and product development. You will directly oversee the medical and scientific affairs team and work closely with Marketing and Business Development. You will grow manufacturing, quality assurance and regulatory to support growing sales and drive expansion into global markets. Finally, you will work closely with our COO to evolve our bioactives innovation partnership strategy to achieve a greater presence in the market than would otherwise be possible with Brightseed investment alone. In this role you will report to our CEO Jim Flatt.
THE IMPACT YOU WILL MAKE
- Develop a vision and roadmap with repeatable and scalable models for commercializing successful bioactives including revenue and profit targets, G&A, branded ingredient marketing, COGS and capex.
- Develop annual and long-range sales forecasts, and Operating Plans to support achievement of these sales targets through investments in compound discovery, ingredient development, translational and clinical research, process development and sales and marketing initiatives.
- Cultivate strategic relationships with best partners in food, beverage, nutrition, supplements and biopharma companies to establish the foundation for a strong bioactives business.
- Define target consumer segments, product forms and messages for each bioactive ingredient through sophisticated consumer insights capability and methods.
- Develop compelling, consumer-facing and B2B customer-facing product claims and messages that address key consumer segments and are consistent with demonstrated health benefit evidence, applicable regulations and Brightseed brand identity, supported by developed claim support.
- Provide leadership for scientific marketing campaigns to support bioactive sales including a Key Opinion Leader (KOL) strategy, presentations at high-profile medical conferences and development of content for Continuing Medical Education material for health practitioners, including dietitians.
- Investigate health benefit applications for our targeted health areas in mind, gut and metabolism to pursue clinical studies as indicated by knowledge of the mode-of-action and the results of preclinical studies.
- Develop the strategy and timeline for introduction of Brightseed bioactives to global markets, including prioritization of the regional markets informed by consumer insights, market size and regional regulatory considerations.
- Cultivate reference customers as well as a pipeline of potential customers for future bioactives products, both in the US and globally.
- Develop and lead achievement of product unit economic targets to determine pricing strategy and sales forecasts to achieve company revenue and margin goals.
- Build and provide leadership to a growing Bioactives team including medical and scientific affairs, product development, consumer insights, sales, supply chain and manufacturing.
- Lead the selection of subsequent bioactives products in Brightseed’s portfolio addressing our target health areas.
- In selected cases, advance In-licensing opportunity identification and recommendations of our bioactive discovery derivatives into pharmaceutical applications.
- Develop Brightseed manufacturing foundation, including quality assurance program across the supply chain, S&OP process, raw material and finished product specification, quality control and manufacturing team.
- Identify and recommend new bioactives strategic partnerships which expand portfolio, sales, distribution, manufacturing capabilities and could have cross functional synergies.
- Expand IP/patent portfolio covering branded ingredients through partnership with our Intellectual Property Counsel, CSTO, consistent with the establish IP strategy.
- Advanced degree in business or technical discipline.
- 20+ years’ experience taking value-added, innovative products to market in the ingredient, nutrition, dietary supplements, consumer pharma, or food and beverage industries.
- Proven leadership and builder of global multifaceted teams.
- Established track record of successfully launching novel products and exceeding revenue targets globally.
- Deep knowledge of the food and health industry players and dynamics.
THE BENEFITS YOU’LL ENJOY
As a lab based company, where in person collaboration is key to drive innovation, we encourage all team members to be in our office most days each week. However we appreciate and honor the need and desire for flexibility and have implemented a hybrid working model. We have a fully stocked healthy kitchen, a gym onsite, plenty of free parking, weekly team events and a state-of-the-art lab and office.
We offer a competitive total rewards package with team-first benefits programs for full-time employees, including medical, dental and vision coverage, unlimited paid time off, life insurance, employee assistance programs, 401(k) plan, a mental health platform, employee discounts, payroll credits for cell phone and commuter costs and a paid parental leave program.
JOIN US, AND BE YOU
We are committed to making transformative discoveries with a team-first mentality. Successful team members are truth-seeking and trusting, with the tenacity required to trail-blaze in uncharted territory. We are a collaborative team that actively seeks input and values differing perspectives. And we produce tangible results, holding ourselves accountable in the process.
We are also committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of connectedness and inclusion. We grow and learn together, respecting professional and personal experiences, areas of expertise, and types of self expression.
In recruiting for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that each one of us brings in terms of education, opinions, culture, color, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, religion, different abilities, sexual orientation and beliefs.
Brightseed requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, subject to accommodation. If hired we will require you to provide proof of vaccination.